Monday, August 6, 2012

Humble Faith

He cried the sound of brokenness.  The sound of nothing left.  Empty, again.

I heard him from our bedroom.

The stairs on the side of our home offered a view of firewood neatly stacked for someone else to use this winter.  Someone who buys our home.  There, he sat with his head in his hands.

I joined him.  And the hurt drained our souls.  Hummingbirds dive-bombed each other over our heads, oblivious to the struggle going on below.  Cleo the cat even came to watch this new sound, the heartbeat of brokenness.





As I sat with the man I love, my cries whispered to God.
Father, do You see him?  Do You see us?  Or have You turned away?   
I will never desert you, 
nor will I ever forsake you.
Hebrews 13:5

Stillness reigned.  His Word filtered into the cracked places.





I know Your answer in my head . . . You are God and You see.  You are El Roi.  But my request is this: Could You show me that You really do care about this moment, . . . right here, . . . right now?  


I asked, to no one in particular, while staring at the wood pile, "Am I not trusting if I am doubting God will answer our prayers any time soon?"  

My husband slowly turned his head for an honest look at my face and asked back, "Can you really, truly, not trust God?"

I dropped my head, "No.  I cannot not trust in my Lord." A moment passed.  Then, I looked into my husband's eyes, "So, this is faith."  He nodded, a slow grin spreading across his face.
 . . .the assurance of things hoped for, 
the conviction of things not seen.  
(Hebrews 11:1)

That was yesterday.

Today was my turn to cry.  While standing in my closet, among hangers and clothes ready to be worn, waves of gratitude washed my cheeks and dripped on shoes.  It was the humbling thought that God answered my prayer in a mighty way.  He answered in a way I never imagined!

He was telling me, 
"Of course I cared about that very moment 
when you no longer had any resources left.  (John 6:5-6)
I waited for that moment because I wanted you to know: 
My grace is sufficient for you, 
for power is perfected in weakness.  
(2 Corinthians 12:9)

Today, God graciously answered the prayers from the stairs.  He used a community of people to deliver His answer.  He let us know we had not been forgotten.  He had not lost sight of us.

Humbly walking by faith.
Love always,
Angie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you mama! Keep writing for the only One who's comments matter

Terri said...

You and Skeet are a beautiful example of faith. Not the "sitting in the church singing the hymns" kind of faith, but the raw, broken, not seeing but believing kind of faith. That is the kind of faith HE wants from us.
Thank you for being real. I love you.

Post a Comment